Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Fakers

Want to know what bugs the living piss out of me? Do you? I looooathe, with every fiber of my being, people who are fake. Specifically, people who take on accents and mannerisms of another country or culture. For example...

Every Monday night, i go to this coffeehouse/pub place downtown with a group of friends. One of THEIR friends was there, a guy I've met once before and found to be pleasant and funny. Well, last year, this guy spent a grand total of a WEEK, yes only seven days, in London. A vacation. Not on a job for six months or as a foreign exchange student for a year. But my everloving lord, this guy? Apparently he affects the tiniest hint of an accent, not too much but i can hear it. And what's worse is that he constantly drops little British-isms into his conversations, little words and phrases. Ooh, oh, and what's worse is that he'll use a British turn of phrase and then stop and tell you, most pompously, that that's how they say that in London, sorry if he confused you.

I was very proud of myself and did not smack him on the back of the head and say 'Look, fucker, i know what your stupid little game is. I am onto you, dude. I am the original Anglophile from way back, asshat, and i get every dumb little word you throw in there, and also? The fake accent is like grease on water, so cut. it. OUT!'. Nope i didn't do that, but damn if it made me not like that guy any more. Not to mention, he is gay (lurve gay people, am tiny bit queer myself so shut it if you're thinking of spitting on me and telling me i'm bashing someone) but really like cloyingly queer and smarmy and not surprisingly FAKE about it. I know he's truly gay, not questioning that for a second, but it's just his way about him that rubs me the wrong way. Urgh. Anyway, there you have it. One of the number one things a person can do to make me snarl and roll my eyes at them, pretend to be something they're not. What about y'all? What makes you screech with frustration about people?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home